I'm a Wisconsin tenant and I don't want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Wisconsin tenant eviction rights?

If you are a Wisconsin tenant and you have been given a Wisconsin termination notice, you have a few options. If your notice gives you the right to cure, you should try to do so. This means paying your rent if it is late or fixing the breach of the lease. If you have been given a non-right to cure notice, merely paying the rent or fixing the breach will not save you. You can try to negotiate with your landlord and see if it is possible to get him or her to drop the termination.

In the alternative, you can wait for the summons that will arrive shortly after your landlord files for eviction. When you get the summons, note the date of the hearing and be sure to follow instructions. If you do not answer the summons, default judgment may be entered for your landlord - meaning you lose. In order to get a trial, you must respond to the summons. At trial you will be allowed to file any counterclaims you have against your landlord.

If you have reached this point in the eviction process, you may wish to seek the advice of an experienced Wisconsin evictions lawyer to help you defend against the eviction or to advise you as to any rights you may have with respect to the circumstances surrounding the termination notice and the unlawful detainer action.