I'm a West Virginia tenant and I don't want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my West Virginia tenant eviction rights?

If you are a West Virginia tenant who has been given notice that your lease is terminating, you should first try to negotiate with your landlord. Often the reason for a termination is non-payment of the rent or breach of the lease, and if you can pay or fix the breach, the landlord will not file for eviction. If you do not feel like you have done anything wrong, you can wait for the landlord to file for eviction. You will receive a notice of suit and summons which will include a hearing date. You should follow the instructions in the notice very carefully. You will probably have to file an answer to your landlord's complaint. Be sure to go to court on your court date to argue your side.

Facing an eviction action alone in court can be intimidating, and many people are uncertain of how to handle the process. Seeking the advice of an experienced West Virginia tenant attorney is one option for easing your uncertainty. An attorney can help you defend against the eviction and advise you as to any rights you may have as a tenant.