I'm a Washington tenant and I don't want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Washington tenant eviction rights?

If you are a tenant who has received a lawful notice, you can do what is requested in the notice, negotiate with your landlord, or fight the eviction in court after the process has begun. After you've been given notice, you will receive a summons from the court once the eviction process has started. The summons will detail why you are being evicted and include court information and the date and time that you must appear to defend your position. In response to the summons, you must respond with an answer or notice of appearance indicating that you intend to appear at court. Failure to answer properly or appear will likely result in a default judgment against you (the landlord will win possession of the property and may have you removed). At this point, you may wish to seek the advice of an experienced Washington evictions lawyer, either to give you sound advice or to help you defend against eviction.