I'm a Texas tenant and I don't want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Texas tenant eviction rights?

If you are a Texas tenant and have been given a notice to vacate, you can try to negotiate with your landlord, move out, or wait until you receive service (notice that you are being sued) of the forcible detainer lawsuit, and then present your argument for why you should not be evicted at the hearing indicated in the service. In some Justice of the Peace jurisdictions, you may have to appear by mail or by phone before the date of the hearing to deny the landlord's claims. You should contact your local Justice of the Peaceto find out whether you have to do this. You will have to appear on the date of the hearing to present your side of the story.

At this point, you may wish to seek the advice of an experienced Texas evictions lawyer, either to give you sound advice, help you defend against the eviction, or to advise you as to any rights you may have with respect to the circumstances surrounding the notice and the forcible detainer action.