I'm an Oregon tenant and I don't want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Oregon tenant eviction rights?

If you are an Oregon tenant who has been given a proper Oregon termination notice but you don't want to leave, you should talk to your landlord and try to fix the problem. See if you can negotiate to pay your rent a little late this month, or fix the breach of the lease that you have committed. If that doesn't work, you will have to wait for the landlord to file the eviction action.

When you are served with court papers, they will include a date on which you must go to court. This date is called a first appearance. You must go to court on this date; if you don't, you will probably lose. At your first appearance, you can ask for a number of things, such as more time to move out, or for a settlement with your landlord. You can also ask for a trial. If you ask for a trial you will have to answer the landlord's complaint. When you file your answer (usually on the date of your first appearance), you will be given a trial date.

At this point, you may wish to seek the advice of an experienced Oregon evictions lawyer, either to get sound legal advice, help you defend against the eviction, or to advise you as to any rights you may have with respect to the circumstances surrounding the notice received and the forcible entry and detainer action.