I'm a New Hampshire tenant and I don't want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my New Hampshire tenant eviction rights?

If you are a New Hampshire tenant who has been served with notice that the landlord is terminating your lease, you should try to cure the reason for the termination. Pay your rent or fix whatever the breach of the lease is that has caused your landlord to try to evict you. If this does not work, wait for your landlord to file an eviction suit. He or she will serve you with the eviction papers and you will have to file an appearance form by your "return date," which will be listed on the summons. Appearance forms are available from your local court clerk. The court will set a date for a hearing after you have filed your appearance form. On the day of the hearing, you and your landlord will both be allowed to argue your sides.

Being involved in an eviction action can be stressful and time-consuming. You may decide that representing yourself is too risky, and that you'd rather hire the services of an experienced New Hampshire evictions attorney. An evictions attorney can help you defend against the eviction action and alert you to any rights you may still have as a New Hampshire tenant.