I'm a New Hampshire landlord with a difficult tenant. I've given the tenant the proper New Hampshire termination notice, but he still won't leave. What next? What is the New Hampshire eviction process?

If you are a New Hampshire landlord who has given your tenant notice that the lease is terminating but the tenant still won't leave, you will now have to file for eviction. Go to your local district court and file the necessary papers. For more information on this process, see the "Getting Help" section in our New Hampshire Evictions article. You will then have to serve these papers on your tenant, who will have to answer your complaint by a return date indicated on the summons.

You and your tenant will receive a hearing date on which you will come to court and argue your sides in front of a judge. The judge will rule for one of you. If you win, the tenant will have 7 days to appeal the decision. At the end of this appeal period, the court will issue you a writ of possession which gives you the right to possession of the property. This will allow the local sheriff to assist you in retaking the premises. Do not try to remove the tenant from your property yourself, as you may be liable for damages if you do. If you don't have the time or energy to handle the eviction process alone, you can always seek out an experienced New Hampshire evictions attorney to help you along the way.